Junko Oki / Woky Shoten – poesy

Remember this post about my favorite embroiderer Junko Oki and my efforts to get my hands on one of her books? Well, I finally succeeded and yesterday received a copy of her wonderful book ‘poesy’.

It features her beautiful embroidery, bags, clothes and simple cloths, some of which are photographed in the context of a room or the outdoors to highlight their beauty. The book came with an introduction written in English where she explains her dreams of becoming a poet.

This is clearly what she is: a poet armed with needle and thread.

In her own words:

” When I have needles, threads, and other special materials in front of me, something stirs deep inside my unconscious mind in spite of myself and I am filled with strong emotion. That is when I regain my true self.”

Here are a few impressions from her book:

It was hard to chose which pictures to feature, as something always gets lost in translation.

But here is the good news: if you would like to purchase the book, you can and it is easy and fast: The price is 2000yen plus postage.

Contact Junko Oki at: mmtukj(at)nifty.com and she’ll send you an invoice through paypal. As soon as you pay, it’ll be on its way and 3-5 days later you’ll hold it in your hands. If you order one, please say hello from me!

Junko Oki is a wonderful source of inspiration and thank you Momo (her sister) for helping with the translations.

….poesy – another day another walk

10 Responses to “Junko Oki / Woky Shoten – poesy”

1. Really lovely. Thank you for posting the work of obscure artists.
    I have imposed a moratorium on new Art books for now. I am becoming overwhelmed instead of inspired. Still looking for a free moment to use my Alabama Chanin stencils.

2. Karen says:

Tilleke Schwarz is another embroiderer whose work will make the heart beat faster. In person her works are out of this world. Thanks for introducing Junko Oki.

3. Kathryn says:

So glad to hear you were able to connect! And thrilled to know we can hold her book in our hands soon. Thanks for the followup!

4. karen b says:

The book looks wonderful! I too am a fan of Tilleke Schwarz. I have a beautiful book of her work that I purchased directly from her a few years ago. Another amazing stitcher is Anna Torma (annatorma.com)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’m always excited when I discover new embroidery/fiber artists. Isn’t it something so simple like needle and thread can make your heart beat faster? Well said Karen! Have a nice weekend all of you.

6. Kate says:

I hadn’t come across Junko’s wonderful work before so thank you! I hope to hold her book in my hand too.

7. Junko Oki says:

Hi, Kathrin
    I got emails in your favor, that want a “poesy” from some people.
    It is exciting that my book has been on a journey travel to Colorado ,Texas, New York, Tuscany, Victoria..
    Thank you so much!

How wonderful, I’m so happy for you!

9. Sandy says:

Wow…. her work is amazing. Thank you for the introduction. How does one buy her book? I cant find it online anywhere. Thank you.

Hi Sandy, there is no preview or online store that sells her book. Just send her an email at mmtukj(at)nifty.com (replace (a) with @ and tell her you would like to purchase “poesy”. She’ll send you a paypal invoice and after you pay, the book is on its way.