Blue Stitching

After a few more days of stitching, my t-shirt is ready. I started with white thread, but I didn’t like it, so I ripped it all out and started from scratch using dark blue buttonhole thread instead. The fabric of the “leaves” and the binding are a slightly darker blue than the rest of the shirt. It’s subtle and I like it.
I was planning to experiment and blog more about the earth pigments, but gave up on the idea, once I realized, how difficult it is to dispose of them properly. It seems black beans and local plants are the way to go.

And  finally finally, I have an idea for Sunday’s fabric manipulation.

12 Responses to “Blue Stitching”

1. Vicki K says:

Bravo!! I love the balance of simplicity and subtle and hand-hewn. And how is it to wear? I have some plum colored cotton knit into which I will make my first Chanin style dive. Thank you for the inspiration!

2. frifris says:

Oh, I really like this. And I agree, blue thread is much better.
    Stoffmanipulation – Sunday after next. No rush ;)

3. Beautiful job! I, too, like the subtlety of close, but not quite the same blues. It gives your piece depth. You must have done hand stitching all your life, your stitches are perfect.
    Tomorrow I will get to meet Natalie Chanin at a trunk show in Berkeley. I am extremely excited.

Hi Nathalie, would you tell me how it was? That sounds so exciting!

Oh yes, that’s right, it’s next week. Phew. I was already a bit nervous…

It wears really well (I just wasn’t photogenic enough this morning…) However, I modified the pattern, because the neckline was really low for me and the shoulder straps a bit narrow. Now it fits like a glove. I basted all seams and tried the tunic, before sewing it all together.

7. k says:

love this blue on blue. you have got me thinking i need to revamp some shirts soon.

8. Siebensachen says:

Wunderschön! Gerade die verschiedenen Blautöne sind so reizvoll. Ich bin schon sehr gespannt auf deinen nächsten Beitrag zu den Stoffmanipulationen.
    LG
    Siebensachen

9. Alyson says:

Hello–I was delighted to stumble across your blog yesterday while playing on Pinterest. I’ve been reading various posts and thinking about your ideas and some of my projects and I wondered what you mean when you say buttonhole thread. Is it embroidery floss, Japanese silk, cotton buttonhole thread? Thank you.

Hi Alyson, buttonhole thread is available from Coats and Clarke and I’m sure other companies and very common. It’s usually a cotton thread with a polyester core. It is much stronger than cotton or silk thread; very important if you sew clothes by hand and want them durable. Hope this helped. Best, Kathrin

11. Alyson says:

Yes. It is exactly the information I was hoping you’d share. Thank you.

Oh good! Have a nice weekend.