When Manipulation is a Good Thing

Let’s manipulate together!  German bloggers Suschna, Nahtzugabe, Griselda, Karen, Tally, frifris and Kathrin are interested in experimenting with fabric manipulation.  Anything goes; included are embroidery, couching, shirring, quilting, pleating and smocking.  If you don’t know what some – or any – of these mean, don’t worry, it’s whatever you can do to alter a fabric’s surface.  We’ll all post our creations on Sunday, Feb 26th.  Email me, if you’re interested.

Two great sources of inspiration are Colette Wolff’s book “The Art of Manipulating Fabric” and Allison Reid’s “Stitch Magic.  Wolff’s book is fantastic, but has the look and feel of a college textbook, while Reid’s is more a feast for the eyes with its beautiful contemporary creations.  I don’t own Reid’s book, because it’s hard for me to maintain a fresh eye once I’ve seen what can be done.  See some of her work here.

Examples from Allison Reid’s Stitch Magic:

An example from “Manipulating Fabric”:

So, what does the opening image have to do with any of this?

Remember the muumuu from a few posts back?  Well, it features some pleats and that is fabric manipulation.  I didn’t like the outcome, but hate to leave a project unfinished.  I took the sides in and shortened it. The result?  It’s wearable, but now it’s too short, and I need to wear a skirt underneath.  You see, no matter  what I did to the darn thing, it’s just not fitting right.

Here’s what I’ve learned so far: Japanese tunics look good on other women.  Mine looks great on a hanger.  The pictures above reflect how I feel about the thing – a bit silly.  Maybe it is the color?  I wonder if far back in my mind untouched by thought and reason there’s a part of me that believed I would look a bit more Japanese.  Needless to say, that was not the case.

However it was an interesting experiment to follow the pattern and I enjoyed making the pleats.

If you are interested in joining us to make a little something for the 26th of February, that would be great.  Send an email to kathrin(at)annekata.com, so we can all visit you. It can be a tiny project of an embroidered handkerchief or anything that feels doable and fun.  It’s a first for me, too, so don’t be shy…..

Let’s be creative together.

18 Responses to “When Manipulation is a Good Thing”

1. Maria says:

Yes, I’ll do it! I don’t have the books, but I think I could participate just as well. Thank you for sharing.
    maria

That’s great!!! It doesn’t matter if you have the books or not, sometimes I thing they prevent discovering on your own. Looking forward to seeing what you make!

3. Katie says:

I’d love to join in! It’s been too long since I picked up a needle and thread.

Wonderful! I’m looking forward to it and just picked up lots of old t-shirts at our thrift shop. Not sure yet what to do with it, but I hope the ideas will come, once I start….

5. Namitha says:

I’d love to do something – not sure if I can do needlework but maybe something else with the fabric?

You can do whatever you like to the fabric. There are really no limits!. Glad you’re in!

7. Suschna says:

Wow, a cross-language project! That is great.
    (I understand about the Muumuu-Kittel now. That is difficult, if you are not the shape of a clothes hanger :-))

8. Bele says:

Such a wonderful project! But such a poor timing for me and my blogless self… Maybe I am allowed to participate as a guest from time to time? Just at the moment I am totally absorbed by making costumes for the “Schull- und Veedelszoch”.
    I am really looking forward to all the manipulation that is going on.

Oh yes, please!!! I was hoping we could manipulate together. And it doesn’t have to be all the time. Just send me a picture and I’ll put it up. That would be wonderful. By the way, I haven’t made yet one single stitch and can see myself sitting there Feb. 26th, frantically manipulating ;o)

10. Namitha says:

Hi Kathrin, I have done this really tiny project for the cause of fabric manipulation – didn’t want to just post the link without asking, so please let me know where to mention it. It took me out of my comfort zone so that’s always a good thing. Thanks for the motivation!

That’s wonderful Namitha, I just saw your adorable cat. It looks lovely. I’ll send you a link to the post that will be up tomorrow morning, in the meantime you could just link to annekata.com if you like. It will be fun to look at all the things our fellow stitchers will come up with.

12. Eva Ginnell says:

Hi, Kathrin!
    Ich möchte auch mit-manipulieren…eure Sachen sehen sehr spannend aus! Wann ist der nächste show-and-tell Termin?
    Auf deine Anregung hin bin ich jetzt stolze Besitzerin des Alabama Chanin Studio Design + Sewing Buches – und bin ganz sprachlos, wie schön das alles ist. Habe schon ein paar bucket hats fabriziert (an ein ganzes Kleid traue ich mich bestimmt bald auch!).
    German hello from the West Coast,
    Eva

Yay! Toll, wir haben uns vorgenommen jeden letzten Sonntag im Monat etwas zu zeigen (wenn wir’s schaffen). Schoen, dass du mitmachen willst. Ich glaube, ich muss auch einen bucket hat probieren. Ich glaube, ich mache erst mal einen Rock, before ich mich an ein Kleid herantraue….Glueckwunsch zu deinem neuen Blog!

14. Eva Ginnell says:

Danke für deine freundlichen Worte. Denn freu’ ich mich aufs Mitmachen und die Inspiration! A propos Inspiration: bei dir ist auch jedes Mal was dabei, was neu, anregend, interessant ist. Wenn “annekata” im mail Postkasten ist, gibt’s was Gutes zu lesen -

15. Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a stuff!
    existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web page.

16. 2011Der Polizeichef einer kleinen Stadt südlich Texas wurde währenwe d einer Verkehrskontrolle am Sams4 erschossen, sagte ein County Sheriff!we

Trackbacks