Jane Eyre

I’ve always been intrigued by the Brontë sisters. Five sisters, two of whom died in childhood and the others, all super talented writers before the age of 40. Here I am over 40 with no novel and no excuse. This blog certainly won’t become a classic. Back to the Brontës.

Emily’s Wuthering Heights made me shiver under the covers and Charlotte’s Jane Eyre is my favorite Brontë novel with its dark brooding mood, gothic setting and early feminist ideas.

Needless to say, I was eager to see the latest Jane Eyre movie, directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. I thought at first Michael Fassbender was a bit too young and handsome for playing Edward Rochester, but his excellent acting made me soon forget that. Same goes for Mia Wasikowska. In reality too pretty to be plain Jane Eyre, she exceeded all my expectations for her exquisite interpretation. Fassbender said she reminded him of a young Meryl Streep.

The phenomenal cast also includes Judi Dench as Mrs. Fairfax and Jamie Bell as St. John Rivers, but see for yourselves:

Have you seen the movie and what did you think?

12 Responses to “Jane Eyre”

1. Strikkelise says:

I shall have to see this.
    Mia Wasikowska looks like a grown-up version of my daughter in the trailer, I was a little bit spooked! Never thought of that when I saw her in Alice in Wonderland.
    Oh, well. Judi Dench alone is usually reason enough to see a movie. :)

2. preparing2 says:

I am always sensitive about a film adaptation of a beloved book (they are never quite good enough) and 'Jane Eyre' is an especially beloved book. I knew the story would have to be pared down and that characters would have to be eliminated, thus the inevitable disappointment. So, with all my reservations, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. The actors did a great job, the mood was perfect. May the Bronte's attract many new fans.

3. Crystelle Boutique says:

I am definitely going to see this show. it looks terrific!
    Thanks for sharing!

4. Katie says:

I'm still itching to see this adaptation!
    I know things will be different, but I always hope that in spite of all the plot elements forgotten and characters occasionally diminished or left out, a film adaptation will preserve the emotional sensation that the book creates.

That said, I also want to see this one for the sheer beauty of the scenery, which I've heard is incredible.

5. Little Mochi says:

Thanks for sharing, now I am really looking forward to see this version of my favorite Bronte book.

6. Sharon says:

although i have never been a fan of the bronte sister books, (way too dark for me) the scenery and costumes may make me change my mind. the trailer itself was very compelling!

7. veryberryhandmade says:

That does look good… I wonder how many film/TV versions of Jane Eyre there have been now? I enjoyed the Zefirelli film version with William Hurt and Charlotte Gainsbourg (the lovely Jane Birkin's daughter of course!). Gainsbourg was an ideal JE I thought, but I very much enjoyed Mia Wasikowska in In Treatment, so am much intrigued…

The trailer makes me want to see this! Awhile ago I found a list of classics and decided to read the ones I hadn't yet read…the first I started with was Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, the youngest of the Bronte sisters. The book shows how being a governess was about the only respectable choice for poor young women to earn any sort of living at that time. While the book is not dark, you feel the frustration of getting the blame for any undesirable behavior by the children yet having no power to establish authority with unruly pupils.

Now I'm in the middle of Tenant of Wildfell Hall – it has the dark secrets usually associated with Bronte books. And there's a PBS adaptation of this book.

9. jessica says:

I can't wait to see this! Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books, and I'm almost afraid to replace the characters I've fashioned in my mind's eye with the actors' faces. But I'm sure it will be an enjoyable film to watch.
    I wonder if there are any decent film adaptations of Wuthering Heights?

10. Tara says:

Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books and it has been far too long since I read it. I haven't seen this movie but I have heard good things.

11. TAPESTRIESOFNATURE says:

I first read JANE EYRE WHEN I WAS ABOUT 13 YRS. OLD. IT IS STILL MY FAVORITE STORY OF ALL TIME. A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO VISIT THE BRONT`E PARSONAGE IN HOWARTH, ENGLAND WITH MY DAUGHTER, WHO ALSO IS A GREAT FAN OF THIS DARING STORY.
    I HAVE A COPY OF EVERY VERSION OF THE MOVIE. SO FAR MY FAVORITE HAS BEEN THE ONE WITH GEORGE C. SCOTT AND SUZANNA YORK. THE MUSIC IN THIS VERSION IS EQUALLY INCREADABLE.
    I AM VERY EAGER TO SEE THIS LATEST VERSION AND DON'T WANT TO MISS IT. THANK FOR SHARING.

12. Terri says:

I saw it with my husband and I absolutely loved it!!! I want to go see it again with my daughter!!! : ) I then had to see more and I rented the 2006 BBC version which was very good.