Blue Flower Skirt Progress

Black T-Skirt Blue Applique

The laundry is piling up, but my skirt is wearable. Let’s see how it turned out.

I really like it……………until I look at the source of inspiration; then I like it a little less. The original design was balanced, while mine is not. Instead, it has a random flower, twig and leaf pattern. That’s why I’ve decided never to look at the original again.

But on the other hand, my skirt can be also worn as a dress, if I can get past the pregnancy look.
(Should have ironed before taking images…)

Black T-Skirt or Dress with Blue Flower Applique

The added denim belt simulates a raised waist and shapes it. The waist band is a double layer of jersey with the edges left raw. A sweater or bolero on top would be perfect for the dress version.

Stitching the applique was meditative. The project could be picked up at any moment for a few stitches here and there between reading and working, cooking and coffees with friends and the rest of daily life. These type of projects are my favorites.

Blue Flower Applique Detail

But look what I’ve discovered when turning the skirt inside out. It’s almost like scribbles on a chalkboard and looks very loose and improvised. It definitely needs further exploration. It’s like blind drawing, but with stitching. Creating a unique and recognizable way of stitching can be hard, because the variables are so limited. When stitches look like they were spontaneously “drawn” onto the fabric it might be a way to achieve a more personal signature.

Black T-Skirt with Blue Applique - Inside Out

Black T-Skirt with Blue Applique - Inside Out

What I’ve learned:

Choose your thread wisely…the gray works well for contrast, but is not very subtle. One more similar to the blue fabric, would’ve still stood out, but not as much. On the other hand, I might never have discovered the effect of the thread scribbles on the reverse side, had the contrast not been so pronounced.

An easier way to applique a skirt is before it’s assembled, as there’s less fabric bulk to deal with. I never do that, though. Usually my skirts are sewn together before decorating, so they can be worn any time once the basic structure is complete. I get easily discouraged with enormous projects.

Today I’ll wear my new skirt with rain boots, a rain jacket and wait patiently for spring!

16 Responses to “Blue Flower Skirt Progress”

1. Rowena says:

So cute. I just got a jersey skirt that I was considering embellishing. You might just have inspired me.

This is really fun!! Good – I say put the other picture away too. I love the idea of the dress. I think the back 'chalkside' would look wonderful as a pillow or a framed piece. This is a great inspirational piece, Kathrin!

I keep forgetting to ask whether or not you have looked at the Alabama Chanin books – garment sewing with cotton knits…

@Vicki: Thanks Vicki, I might try a 'chalkside' pillow. Reg. your question: Yes, I know (and love!) Natalie Chanin's work. Her garments are truly amazing. They are just so intricate and often I lack the time (and/or patience).
    But her two books are on my shelf and when the third comes out, I'll buy that as well. They are so inspiring…

5. Michelle York says:

I now look in my closet with a different eye, thanks to you..Black lace cutouts on a red plaid wool skirt..hmmm!

6. Mohnrot says:

Impatiently I waited for the result of your skirt project – and now there it is! I love this skirt and the way of your crafts! I love your wonderful works with these little charming imperfections, this visible handmade style. You do not try to give your work a "perfect", which means industrial look. Each time you post your works I am so excited wanting to start such project by my own, too.
    Thank you so much for your inspirations and your thoughts, for opening our industrial
    standardised minds for the perfection of imperfections.
    Yours, Verena

7. A Little Happier says:

What a work! This dress is really nice

8. Sharon says:

oooo well done! this looks very chic and stylish…skirts don't do well for me…i am not tall…only 5'5"…a sometimes feel cut off…but now i am so tempted to try one of these…hmmmm…are you tall? what do you think?

9. Lucy in the Sky says:

One of my favourite quotes which applies very well to artistic work is by Karl Lagerfeld who said "Never compare, never compete." (Die grafische Rückseite des Rocks ist wirklich eine Entdeckung – sowas wie die écriture automatique, nur mit Nadel und Faden.)

@Sharon: I'm 5'2" and I actually like myself in skirts. Helen Mirren is only 5'4" and looks pretty tall, especially next to Bob Hoskins. Juliette Binoche is 5'6". But then, Lucy summed it all up…."Never compare, never compete!"

@Lucy: Yep, "Never compare, never compete."
    What a great reminder. I should have known better. Das waere auch ein schoenes Zitat fuer einen Rock und sehr doable mit den 4 Worten. Ich ueberlege schon seit Wochen, wie es am einfachsten waere auf Worte auf Jersey zu sticken. Ich glaub, ich muss einfach mal Nadel und Faden in die Hand nehmen…

11. Annie xx TheFeltFairy says:

I love it!

12. Tina S says:

It's so cool to see the finished project and to hear your own reflections on the project. I hope you enjoy wearing the skirt for years to come!

13. suschna says:

Ja, nun hast du ja schon alles parat: Worte, Kreide, Tafel, und kannst loslegen.

14. Cafe Couture says:

Huge work but the result is absolutely worth it. Be sure you'll wear an unique skirt.

15. Jannette says:

That came out beautifully – especially like the dress version, for some reason (balance..?)! And the back *does* look good. Will keep my fingers crossed for the weather to wear it in..

Also like the Karl Lagerfeld quote; always good to keep in the back of my mind..

16. nicole says:

love the skirt! absolutely fantastic :)