Packing Oma Leni’s Shirt

Oma Leni's Shirt
Almost packing to go home. I had so many great ideas what to make while on the road, but I must admit that traveling and making, sometimes don’t agree. Well, I made “things”, like hand warmers, a scarf and straw stars, but not much else to share here. However I’m bursting with new ideas and really looking forward to going home and having all my “stuff” around me. What I miss on the road is the puttering with uninterrupted time. It’s hard to enter the moment of losing oneself in a creative endeavor in a house filled with friends and family.
The shirt above was likely Oma Leni’s. It was made in school to demonstrate sewing skills. It looks as if it was done entirely by hand and the seam work is extremely delicate. Look at the covered buttons:
Oma Leni's Shirt
The young woman on the right is my Oma Leni and her two sisters, all of them delightful. My great aunt in the middle is still alive, 96 years old and beautiful.
Grete, Anni and Leni
Leni and her two sisters grew up in this house with my great grandparents:
Kreuztal Gosenbach Haus

Later, she married my grandfather and lived in the house below, where my father was born. I spent the first few years of my life in that house. It’s changed over the years, but the house still contained the store when I was little:

Where I Gew Up

I’ll be going home this week, packing Leni’s gown and some old photographs which will remind me of home when I’m home.

15 Responses to “Packing Oma Leni’s Shirt”

The button is fantastic – but so is the buttonhole! These are wonderful photos – I love the 'casual' newspaper reading shot. Can't wait to see what results from all your inspiration!

2. NJOma says:

Beautiful! And have a safe journey back.
    Happy New Year

3. suschna says:

Und auch schön gehäkelt. "Frauen in Nachthemden"-Suchende werden dir hoffentlich erspart bleiben.

4. mayaluna says:

What amazing photos!I think I can see your sweet girl in all three of the sisters. My favorite shot is of your home with the store. Incredible. Can't wait for you to get back home… can you tell it's the first day back at school… time enough to leave a comment for once! Wondering if we will be drinking tea or coffee upon your return. Either way, can't wait! Safe travels.
    xo,
    m

5. vesna says:

very beautiful!

6. Tara says:

Beautiful post.

7. Whitney says:

Lovely post, Kathrin. I'm so happy for you. What a treasure to have these special photos and beautiful shirt with you. My first thought at seeing the photo of your Aunts was how much I see your lovely daughter right there in the middle – amazing and sweet! We're looking forward to having you back. Have a safe journey….

8. Sue says:

So amazing – I agree that the button is amazing – don't suppose you know if she made it or if it was bought? And the crochet edging is so lovely – might have a go at recreating it. Thanks so much for sharing this treasure, and hoping your visit home is happy and enjoyable.

9. Jessica says:

the photos and shirt–so, so lovely!

10. Bo says:

lovely story

the button is adorable

11. laura says:

I love this personal post, the photos shed a little more mystery over your blog. The blouse is beautiful, all that time, patience and skill. I too await tthe creations you are inspired to make from all your festive travels.

12. Amoronia says:

This is absolutely fantastic!
    Happy New Year!
    Oh, and a little surprise for you:
    (I am not very good with those games, but I thought I'd give it a try… The thing is, I love how stylish your blog is! Hehehee…)

13. N. says:

Einen Bügel von Bender hab ich auch :o)

14. Anonymous says:

Wie schön, "faßbare" Zeugnisse der eigenen Familiengeschichte zu haben. Das ist in meiner Familie leider durch die Vertreibung alles verloren gegangen. Der letzte noch vorhandene Koffer mit Fotos wurde dann im Zug von Osten nach Westen vertauscht.

Ich wünsche Euch eine gute Reise. Von Zuhause nach Zuhause. Ein bißchen Heimweh bleibt überall, nicht wahr?!

Gruß, Elke

15. Sandra says:

Hermosas las fotografías y el recuerdo de tus familiares.
    Desde tu Buenos Aires Querido, tarareando un tango, besos,