Make a Recycled Wreath from a Vinyl Record and Pattern Paper

Wreath Vinyl Records and Pattern Paper
For my daughter’s class, I was given a project. The idea was a simple fall wreath easy enough for kids to make. Now, I dislike going to big box craft stores, as they are too overwhelming and not very green. But thrift stores always inspire me. So off I went and when I found some vinyl records and pattern paper for a few cents, they seemed just right for the project. With a certain look in mind, I only had to figure out how to tie the whole thing together.

And tying it was. In fact, it’s so easy, that kids 6+ can make one without adult help. Using a recycled 45 record is geeky and adds to the fun, but a simple cardboard ring will work just as well if records are unavailable, or a more traditional look is desired. I don’t believe that there is any such thing as “Fun for the whole family”, but if we send dad off to his wood workshop, this one comes pretty close.

Supplies:
45 vinyl record or card board ring
string
recycled sewing patterns or tissue paper
ruler (you can also cut freehand)
scissors
Tutorial: Wreath Vinyl Records and Pattern Paper
How to:
Take a piece of string and wrap it around the disc as shown in the picture. Make sure not to wrap it too tightly or too loosely, because the paper strips will be tucked underneath the string but needs to be held in place. Cut out small squares approx. 4″ x 4″. They don’t have to be exact. Anything goes.

Tutorial: Wreath Vinyl Records and Pattern Paper
Take a piece of paper and thread it through the string. Glue is not needed. Go around tucking each square into position, until you have enough to cover the record. I have chosen a thicker cotton thread to illustrate the process, but you don’t have to.
And that’s it. Super easy and very satisfying, because it can be created in a wink.
Wreath Vinyl Records and Pattern Paper
Variations:
  • Dip the whole wreath into a plate of paint. Fall colors work well.
  • Use some fabric strips cut on a bias (to prevent fraying) and tie them around the string.  Make sure the “wrong” side of the fabric is pretty. Linen will work, or any other woven fabric.
  • Make one for winter using felt strips.
  • Weave some fabric strips through the string.
  • Use a combination of materials
Have fun and experiment!

19 Responses to “Make a Recycled Wreath from a Vinyl Record and Pattern Paper”

1. Sharon says:

this one's a winner! i can see doing it with pages from an old book too…if they are not too stiff…really fun idea you came up with!

2. OneCraftyFox says:

I love this idea! It's so simple yet so incredibly pretty!!

3. Wabi-Sabi Wanderings says:

Such a simple craft that creates a stunning result. How very satisfying for children (and their mamas). And the wreath could be covered on both sides and suspended from a beam. Oh, I am likin' all of the potential in this craft.

Blessings…

4. The Answer Is Chocolate says:

Genius! And stunning. Really brilliant idea.

5. apinchofit says:

Oh, How simple ideas and simple things make handy work.. :)

6. Demoiselle Libellule says:

A wonderful idea! Simple, beautiful and green! I think I have to try it together with my kids!

Liebe Grüße aus München

Bea

7. angel says:

I love this! It is so so simple. I am going to try it with autumn colored tissue paper cut into leaf shapes! THanks for the awesome idea!

The string part is brilliant!! Just picture the usual tissue sticking to everything but the place you want it to stay…you have solved the problem. And it's pretty.

9. Kathy Floen says:

I LOVE THIS PROJECT! :) I may have to try this with my kids this weekend. :)

10. Sophia Luksana says:

How beautiful! Seems so simple but amazing result!
    My dad has bunch of old vinyl records. I'm going to give it a try ! I love the string part – very clever idea. I've done craft projects and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to promote your blog!

11. Mitzi Curi says:

I love this wreath, and I'm so glad I discovered your blog! I'm here via Cathe Holden's blog….

12. Nancy Ward says:

Hi!

Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly

13. Nelly says:

Perfect!!!!! So simple and I've been saving a bunch of vinyl records to make something. Thanks for sharing this. I'm def. going to make a couple and maybe even for gifts.

14. Darlene says:

What a great and economical idea!!! Thanks for sharing.

15. Bonnie says:

Hey! Normally I do this through email but I couldn’t find your email on your page anywhere. I’m a writer for Crafting a Green World (www.craftingagreenworld.com) and am hoping to do a round-up this week of green fall decor projects. I saw this project and I think it would be perfect for this round-up. If you are interested in me featuring your site, all I need is permission to use one of your photos from that post. We always provide a link-back to your site, a photo credit, and a short description. Our goal is to get our readers to check out your tutorial. Please let me know if this is something that interests you. I would like to have the post up on Friday. Thanks!!

-Bonnie @ Crafting a Green World

Hi Bonnie, thanks so much for asking. Yes, please go ahead and use the Wreath Tutorial for the Fall Roundup. Best, Kathrin

17. KimsKlutterMO says:

Making one for everyone at our local nursing home thank you for the great idea!

18. Linda McCormack says:

I am making this great idea to hang in my sewing room. Love it, and I already have everything I need to make it. I’m also making the same wreath in pink crepe paper, to match the pink rosette ornaments I just made from the same paper, to go with my #17 pink CHRISTmas tree. I added # 17 to my collection of trees in all sizes to honor my new step grand daughters, Livi and Emma. I can hardly wait for CHRISTmas this year. Thank you!!

Trackbacks