Tutorial: DIY Coin Purse

Purse Tutorial 14
You have seen these a lot in the last few days. Coin purses. Perfect for change, lipstick or other little necessities. And here’s how you can make your own in lengthy detail.
Coin Purse Tutorial Supplies
Supplies:
- free pattern (download here)
- curved sew-on purse frame 3.3/8 inches or 8.5 cm
- fabric for shell and lining
- scissors
- fabric marker
- needle
- thread
- embroidery thread (optional)
Make:
Purse Tutorial 2
Cut out pattern from free downloadable pdf.

Purse Tutorial 3

Transfer pattern onto the fabric.

Purse Tutorial 4
Cut out 2 pieces for outer shell and 2 for lining.
Remember to transfer the markings from the pattern as well.

Purse Tutorial 5
Embroider or print or embellish the outer shell any way your like. (Optional)
You can also use interesting printed fabric as your base and skip embellishment.
The tweed above is from recycled trousers. They needed a little something extra.

Purse Tutorial 6
Place the right sides together. The blue/black lines are markers to show the opening for the frame.

Purse Tutorial 7
Use a simple running stitch and leave the marked top curved part open. (This is where the purse frame will be attached.) You can also use a backstitch.

Purse Tutorial 8
Do the same with the lining, leaving the top curved part open and the bottom part as well.
I always leave a long thread which can then be used to attach the lining, though you don’t have to.
The bottom opening is used for turning the purse inside out. (You’ll see that step later.)
Purse Tutorial 9
Place the outer shell right side out into the lining. (with the stitching on the outside).

Purse Tutorial 10
This is how it looks. Now attach the lining to the outer shell.
Use the same thread you sewed the lining with or start a new one.

Purse Tutorial 11
Stitch all the way around the upper curved part. The start is pictured above.
The side seams of the lining are folded to one side, the outer shell to the other side.

Purse Tutorial 12
Time to turn the purse inside out.

Purse Tutorial 13
Push the outer part through the opening in the lining.

Purse Tutorial 14
Close the opening in the lining. A slip stitch will work.

Purse Tutorial 15
Time to attach the frame.

If you are a beginner I would recommend using a bit of glue to hold the frame in place while you sew it on.
You can also finish the purse at this stage, by permanently attaching the frame with adhesive.
This can be done by placing a line of glue onto the curved edge and gluing the frame in place.
If you prefer sewing, read on.

Purse Tutorial 16
This is how it would look, if you glued it in place.

Purse Tutorial 17
Double your thread and stitch through the holes grabbing the fabric to attach the frame.

Purse Tutorial 18
Voila, a framed coin purse.

Purse Tutorial 2

If you have any questions, no matter how simple or mundane, please don’t be shy and email me! It’s important for my learning to understand what the difficult areas are and how I can present them better.  This technique can be used to sew any lined bag by hand.

It takes about 1 hour to 1.5 hours if you don’t embroider anything too complicated. The first time might take longer. The sew on frames are available from several etsy sellers and ebay as well. Sadly, there seems to be no American company producing these frames. So I order from ebay and get them in larger quantities as they make a perfect gift for many occasions.

It’s Friday, late summer and the county fair is in town….have a good weekend!

53 Responses to “Tutorial: DIY Coin Purse”

1. Jen says:

Thanks for the tip about the frames- they really are adorable. Love your work and have a great day!

2. Weatherbee ;) says:

What a wonderful tutorial! I can't wait to try one out. Once I find some frames I'm definitely going to give it a try! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

3. Chirley Maria. says:

Muito bem explicado!

4. vesna says:

how nice!thank you

The lining of that purse makes it even cuter that ever! Thank you for the tutorial. My only question was going to be about where to find the purse frames. I love how the stitching adds to the finishing detail of the purse.

6. OrloSubito says:

is so so beuatifull, thank you for the tutorial!!!!!
    now i go to etsy to search someframes!!!

Here's a supplier I just found on etsy. Their frames look really nice. (The supplier I had ordered from in the past doesn't carry these right now.)
    Hope this helps.

8. Sharon says:

what a great tutorial! enjoy the faire and your weekend…

9. Sandra says:

Quedan preciosos! Y muy bueno el paso a paso!
    Besos, y buen fin de semana,
    Sandra

10. MissKoolAid says:

Excellent tutorial.
    I'm guessing that the frame's measure is taken accross, one straight line from one end to the other. How much bigger than the frame is your fabric? 1 inch? And you could probably find old coin purses to deconstruct at second-hand stores…
    Sophie

11. Eva says:

thank you.. i usually am not the handy person that would do something, but I will try this one!
    have a great weekend!

12. Sarah { bee house hives } says:

You have one fine blog. I am so glad to read. I found you through my friend Diane over at Mackville Road.
    I am putting you in my favorites to read more over tea tonight! Yay!

13. Sarah { bee house hives } says:

.. my comment read back funny..
    I mean to read while sipping tea later on tonight ( when the littles are asleep! :)

14. Cindy Caraway says:

Yay! I was hoping you might be so kind as to do tutorial on these sweet purses :)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you….

15. boatx2 says:

(gasp)

FINALLY! Information on where to get those frames ::shakes fist of anger::. I always wondered where people were buying them but never saw them in stores. Such a mystery! That–and I hadn't a clue how you attached those darn things.

Thank you for the awesome creation! Now we have a perfect place to hide away all our gold bullion. What? You don't have any? (^_~)

16. Anonymous says:

thanks a lot! I like your blog very much…
    Aggy from Rome

17. silvia says:

Your blog is so beautiful, I'm glad I found you! We share many things in common (history of fashion one of them :-) . I just made an order of purse frames from your same supplier and some from Gina Purse too, and I can't wait to make some purses my self, I simply adore them, so thanks for the tutorial! Silvia

18. Jenny says:

Wow!! These are so cute!! And the tutorial is so clear – I think even I might be able to make one of these with your help :) Thanks for sharing!!

19. carla says:

Thank you so much for sharing a tutorial on this.
    I wanted to try to make one for so long but always thought it would be to difficult. Now I'll definitively give it a try.

20. Cindy AKA ChessWidow says:

What a great idea! Just wanted to let you know that I work for Jo-Ann Fabrics and we sell these frames now too!

21. katie bee says:

these are so precious!
    what sort of thread did you use to attach the frame? It looks like embroidery floss, but I always have a hard time stitching with that because it's so thick.

@Cindy: Thanks so much for letting us know.

@katie bee: I use Coats & Clark buttonhole thread; doubled, so the purse will never ever break ;) . I use button hole thread a lot and it's very easy to use. It's cotton covered polyester thread and while I'm not a fan of polyester, it does add strength to everything you sew. I don't recommend using embroidery floss for any seam, or where strength is required.

23. trixi says:

Your tutorial looks great! I love making purses but till now I've only used zips. I am very excited to try and make one so I hope I can get a frame and some time soon to try. Have you ever made a zip purse with felt?

24. Nancy Ward says:

Hi!

Wanted to let you know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog, PaperFriendly.

Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly

25. trixi says:

hi annekata, i actually meant to ask have you ever made any of your coin purses with felt…and yes I only hand sew everything including my quilts so they take me years to make…but I'm not in a hurry so I don't mind!

26. life in yonder says:

I haven't sewn in too much time, and this easy and fun tutorial just made me want to bring out the fabrics again. Thanks for sharing!

27. Vendeplume says:

Merci ! ^^

28. Jessica says:

Oh, fantastic! I've been looking for a clear tutorial on sewing purse frames. I've tried the glue in kind and just find no success with them, so I'm real happy to see this. I'll have to try it out and blog about the results. :)

29. Bethany says:

Yes, these frames are sold at Joann's…I just bought 2!

30. g.aruljothiKarikalan says:

nice purse i'll try it a day

31. Paula says:

What is the seam allowance you used for the stitch?

@Paula: I used 1/2" to 3/8". It doesn't have to be completely exact. Hope this helps.

33. Paula says:

Thanks!

34. MsPIGgii says:

The fabric and frame are beautiful. I am currently obsessed with metal framed purses too. Please check out the ones I've made @ http://mspiggii.blogspot.com/

Thanks

35. Jennifer says:

Love your blog and loved the coin purse so much I finally used the one I had been going to use for a crocheted coin purse. I used an vintage piece of material with different scences from the material on each side, one of flowers and the other of birds with trees. I used a soft cotton for liner. I love how it turned out! and am happy I found your tutorial it was easy to follow. I am now going to order more frames these could become addictive.

36. Kim says:

Thanks for your really clear tutorial! I've had a purse clasp with the sew on holes for a while and haven't been able to find a suitable tutorial till now – will certainly be giving this a go later!

Much love,
    Kim

37. Nancy Ward says:

Wanted you to know I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog.

Nancy Ward
    PaperFriendly

38. Cecilie says:

It's my best day ever!I've found this tutorial!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! =)
    Lots of hugs from Hungary!
    Cecilia

39. Carolyne says:

Thank you so much! I am excited to try this. I have a most favourite little coin purse and am complimented all the time. I'll be making these for gifts. Shall I send you a picture?
    XOXO
    ~C.

40. FRANNIE-STEVENS-MESHORER says:

YOUR TUTORIALS ARE SIMPLY WONDERFUL. VERY CLEAR AND CONCISE AND EASY TO FOLLOW .. FANTASTIC PHOTOS SHOWING EVERY STEP OF THE WAY! THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!! frannie

41. Manuela says:

Loved it!!!!
    I was looking for this tutorial.
    I already bookmarked it to do soon :)

42. amanda says:

joann fabric sells the frames!!!

43. Rebecca says:

Thanks for the pattern and tutorial! I got my frame at Joann’s this week and was stumped on a pattern. It worked great! :)

44. theoni says:

great tutorial and great blog!! thanks!!

45. April says:

I found a really cute Mickey Mouse coin purse frame on Etsy and now I can actually make the purse! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

46. Suki says:

I came to this lovely tutorial via Ashlie’s blog (Painting Bliss) and her Tutorial Thurdays. It’s fantastic! I really want to try this and will let you know if I do. Plus you should take a look at what Ashlie made – so sweet!

47. deedee says:

Bought an antique purse in the frame and had no idea how to make it. LOL Thanks so much for this tute.

48. LLou says:

Received a error message when I tried to download the pattern.
    Is the link broke?

49. Bert says:

Did you glue them as well as sew the purse in ? If so did you have trouble getting the needle in with the glue in there?

50. heather b says:

i found your tutorial on pinterest today.i got a frame and some fabric at joann’s, total cost of about $4
    (not as nice as yours, the holes are pretty wide apart so the stitches look big ) i made an adorable coin purse in about 1.5 hours, and i am really happy with it! so thank you so much! i am sure i will make more for gifts

51. candy says:

great sharing ,i love your blog ,i will try to do the Coin Purse ,thanks for guide

52. Alison says:

Thanks so much for this super tutorial! I just made a few purses and your tutorial helped tons in knowing how to stitch it together. Thank you!! :)