The Secret of Kells

This weekend, we went to see the movie “The Secret of Kells“, the story of a young monk called Brendan who fights Vikings and a serpent god to find a crystal and complete the legendary Book of Kells:

The Book of Kells (800), showing the lavishly decorated text that opens the Gospel of John.
Picture from Wikimedia Commons.
Cartoon Saloon has created a masterpiece. The drawings and animation were exquisite, their intrinsic details mesmerizing. (Can you tell I loved it?) It was so unlike anything I had ever seen before. The forest scenes were my favorites.

Hop over to http://www.thesecretofkells.com/ for more on the story, beautiful picture galleries and some activity sheets in pdf format for school aged kids.

I’ll see this one again.

8 Responses to “The Secret of Kells”

1. Sharon says:

what an odd little film that seems to be! I looked at the video clip and thought the colors alone were so vivid…..glad you had a fun time seeing it….

2. mammacomic says:

oh, I LOVE it. the art is amazing, and I adore the top painting you posted. We are going to watch it this weekend, thanks to your recommendation!

@Sharon: Yep, it's a very unusual, but really inspiring movie. The story of the Book of Kells is fascinating.

@mammacomic: I think you – being an artist – are going to love it. The drawings (and paintings) are spectacular. I'm curious what you think, when you see it.

4. lurban says:

I loved it too. I took my kids even though my boy may have been a little young for some of the scary viking scenes. He sat on my lap, though, and we whispered through it and now he remembers the experience vividly. Of course, he wants me to paint the walls of his bedroom like the forest in the film. If only I had the skills!

I'm new to your blog and wanted to say how much I'm enjoying it. Thanks for your posts.

@lurban: Thanks so much. My daughter was a bit young, too, but she nevertheless loved it. Welcome to my blog.

6. muralimanohar says:

Wow. Going to have to see that. The imagery is fantastic!!!

7. Andrew Craig Williams says:

I haven't even heard of this film, but I MUST go and see it.
    I've even got a tattoo of the Tree of Life from the Book of Kells on my arm!

8. smkelly8 says:

Just saw the movie on Netflix. I ordered DVDs for all my nieces and nephews so they can learn about their heritage.

I loved the rich details of the animation.