DIY Two Minute Summer Furoshiki Bag

Furoshiki Bag -

The Japanese are simply brilliant when it comes to celebrate simplicity and make the ordinary extraordinary. Just think about the care and presentation of their food, their lifestyle magazines, clothing and what not. They are also very inventive.

In 2006 at the Olympic Games the Japanese Ministry of Environment had their athletes use “furoshiki” the traditional Japanese wrapping cloth. In a campaign for reducing waste!! If you would like to know how to use Furoshiki in wrapping, you can dowload a pdf from the Japanese Ministry of Environment.

If you want to make your own Furoshiki bag like the one pictured above, here’s how:

SUPPLIES:
- fabric square (mine was 41 inches  -104 cm)
- 2 hair bands (I used two elastics which I covered in the same fabric)

HOW TO:
 I hemmed the seam by hand because I like that sort of thing. And then you just fold the fabric like this:

Furoshiki Bag - Picture Tutorial 1
Now comes the hairband/elastic part. Take the 2 corners and thread them through the elastics. To create the bag handle, just tie the corner ends together. And you’re done. Total time elapsed: 2 minutes.

Furoshiki Bag - Picture Tutorial 2

Furoshiki Bag

I use the bag for swimming, as it holds nicely all the towels and swim wear. For picnics it doubles as a blanket/tablecloth.

They also make nice gifts for little (and not so little) girls. They love the idea of a 2 dimensional cloth being transformed into a bag where they can transport their treasures.

26 Responses to “DIY Two Minute Summer Furoshiki Bag”

1. Jennifer S. says:

I love furoshiki, it's perfect for my non-perfectionist persona :) my friend has a gift wrapping blog that often features interesting japanese inspired wrap methods, she first introduced me to furoshiki, and she did this really interesting series inspired by a book "how to wrap 5 eggs".

It seems like a basic survival skill!

3. boatx2 says:

Brilliant! Thank you so much for the easy tutorial, it was fantastic! When I looked at the end result–the stitched edges–I was afraid this would be complicated but, at the end two minutes later, I laughed at my anxiety.

Brill-iant.

Sometimes I wonder in awe to myself: why are the Japanese so great at EVERYTHING?! ^_^
    How did you find out about Furoshiki?

4. Felicity says:

Oh brilliant!!

5. Lauren says:

This is really cool! Can you take stuff in and out of it easily, or do you have to unwrap it all the way?

I'm going to go experiment.

6. Charissa says:

Very nice! I was just working on a post about making bags from furoshiki; it's funny how that works. The way you've presented it looks so appealing and straightforward.

My friend Jenn (the first commenter) pointed me here…I also enjoyed your post about Korean wrapping cloths (I'll have to look into those!). Thanks for sharing!

Charissa

7. Jodie says:

A simple yet fantastic idea. I've shared your link on my blog today :)

@Lauren – Reg. your question if you can take things out easily? Yes. Because it's not really that tightly closed. You just open the flaps and adjust it a bit with the elastics. And definitely experiment a bit.

9. Lauren says:

I played around a bit and came up with this:

@ Jodie – Thanks so much!
    @ Charissa – Can't wait to see your ideas. I know there are many ways of using furoshiki as bags. (Also really enjoyed your "How to Wrap 5 Eggs" series! I had been thinking of getting the book and now I will.)
    @ boatx – I found out about Furoshiki when I became interested in Pojagis (Korean Wrapping cloth) And I'm fascinated by Japanese aesthetics including antique textiles, the concept of wabi sabi to name just two.

11. rosie says:

love the efficient style!

12. Michelle L. says:

Thanks for the easy tutorial! What a great, simple idea. And I am loving your blog, just found it!

13. Sabii Wabii says:

really cute idea!

14. Nancy Ward says:

Hi!

Wanted you to know that I posted a link to this tutorial today on my blog.

Nancy Ward

15. Genie Robinson says:

It was so hot and miserable in VA today, I decided to sit in my recliner and make me a Furoshiki bag. I had to use what left overs I had from my quilting but found a piece of fabric a bit smaller than yours but large enough to work. What Fun! What a great last minute gift for a special person. I, too, whipped the hem by hand and now I think I will go back and embroider around it. Will put a link to your tutorial on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Genie Robinson
    buttonsforbaga.blogspot.com
    flossingmyblessings.blogspot.com

16. Emma says:

Thanks for a great tutorial! I just tried it out, and I have a feeling that I need to go buy more fabric…

~Emma

17. Sarah says:

Lovely idea, would make great bridesmaids thank you gifts.

18. editor says:

my favorite scarf is a furoshiki fabric – i bought it intending to use it as a table cloth and then could not resist the urge to put myself in it. so i can personally attest to the huge appeal of furoshiki for wrapping things. ;)
    this is a great project for the next yard of fabric i find myself unable to resist buying.

19. Sofia Nanka Kamatani says:

Hello from Brazil!
    From
    You can enjoy a differents videos from furoshiki.
    Because furoshiki it´s a new trend to reduce a plastic bag!
    Best regards,
    Sofia Nanka Kamatani

20. Please show how you hand sew the hem. It looks like it is basted on but the stitches are too small. I would hand sew also as it is more beautiful than the machine stitch.

• kathrin says:

The hem is made with running stitch, which is essentially a basting stitch but spaced closer together. You might want to experiment with stitch length, before you sew the hem by hand, but it’s easy to achieve a look you’ll like. I also like hand-stitched better than machine stitched and uneven stitches just add to the charm. Hope this helps.

21. Susan McD says:

How much do you turn the edges for hemming? I am excited to try this. Also what material do you recommend for an everyday bag?
    Susan

22. karen f. says:

so 2-minutes is not how long it takes to make it once? but rather how long it takes to tie off the handle each time you need a bag?

23. amelia says:

I like you tutorial!
    this bag very simple to make it

Trackbacks